To the west of Santa Rosa between that city and Sebastopol the landscape extends in almost unbroken flatness, populated by magnificent ancient oaks. Known historically as the Llano the Santa Rosa, literally the "plain of Santa Rosa". Up until the 1830's they were dense with thousands of oak trees. With the arrival of Europeans, the face of the Llano began to change. Farmers to make way for farmland girdled thousands of oaks. The lone oaks that remain stand watch over these vast fields, each tree a individual, almost moitionless.